Saturday, August 4, 2018

Realistic Goals This Time (32)

July 16th
I have come to a couple of conclusions about life in retirement. The panic has faded. The anxiousness does not keep me up at night. I am determined to make this work on my own terms and I think I am finally waking from a dreamy state of wonder. Realistic goals hit me this morning... A new list (Like I said, I like lists)...
  • I stopped staring at emails from indeed.com for job offerings. I will regret not making it work as a freelance artist. I want the flexibility of working from home. My skills are in art, not sales, writing about finance, or teaching English. 
  • I posted another blog entry yesterday about Maggie the portrait. The blog post began as a full and vibrant vitamin week checklist. I even went as far as designing the checklist on illustrator with a pretty font and real checkboxes to check off. As I wrote out my blog post with the help from an entry in Penzu, it turned into a story about Maggie. I have pretty photos of Maggie, even one with the real Maggie looking at Maggie the portrait. I have a personal stake in showing Maggie. The vitamin week checklist was delegated to a second post and saved as a draft. Only words and pictures of Maggie became published. What does that tell me? My vitamin week checklist is still a personal, therapeutic search for life in retirement and not to be shared, at least not yesterday anyway. My goal to make my blogs work should be writing posts that other people find interesting and can spread the word about my interest in painting.
  • I asked Gabrielle and Joyce to allow Daisy to come by for a test tutoring session. I even have a set appointment, Tuesday at 3:00. I am going to begin. Daisy is a perfect age, she loves art and she knows me well. Perhaps next door Evan will be next.
  • I completed 2 dog portraits this month and they each took about one week or so to finish. That is a real window of time to work on a commission, not like the month-long projects that sat idle on the easel during school.
  • I redesigned the images of my pet portraits for the blog post about Maggie and I realized how great they look, even on the computer. Time to design that website. I am ready, commissions are open!
  • I got the projector to work after a few silly emails translated from Chinese. I bought an adapter and I am ready to go. The projection will not work in my small studio so once the living room gets reinvented after the Steinway moves out (so sorry, Sam) I will have the space to make the projection happen. I have a projector stand picked out. I am optimistic. A professional artist needs a professional set-up and professional tools. Daddy taught me that. 
  • I thought as well about a blog about teaching art. With Daisy coming tomorrow and mental lesson plans for her visit, I also have photos in mind to take of Daisy at work. Showing kids with their paintings will sell my business. Do I dare show work from Ranney? I have years of student artwork that I taught. I wonder if that is ethical. I wonder if anyone else cares. I was the teacher and these were my students. It's just a thought. At least I know if I start a teaching art blog, that I have content I can pull from.
  • I bought an e-book from Abby Glassenberg on starting a blog for business. I am also reading information from Amy "Useletter" on the right steps to take. This is my goal for this week.
  • I decided on a painting (actually two) of Murray. I will keep plodding away on my doggie portraits to keep me in practice and in good shape to welcome a commission. Two portraits completed in my first month with one for sale was a great start. It has to become a regular thing. Word has to be spread. September will come too soon, scaring me and my checking account. 
  • I want to make each day full. I will print out that fancy new checklist and make it work for real. Today is Monday, the start of a new week and the start of month 2. I have so much I want to accomplish. That is a good feeling. I will face down September with a strong work ethic and a working plan to make money. Then I can enjoy being an artist.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...