Saturday, August 4, 2018

Google Knows Everything (39)

July 23rd
A new week and we are in for a week of rain. I don't mind the rain as I am retired. I do not have to go to school or anywhere in particular. My phone has a thing from Google maps on my home screen and it used to tell me how many minutes it will take and if there is traffic to get to "work" in the morning. Then it gives me the same information at 5:00 to get "home." My schedule was so predictable that Google knew my habits. Now I stay home when I want to, I visit people when I want to, or I might go to a store if I need something. Obviously, Google cannot put a handle on my scattered life these days. Yesterday, in an attempt to be helpful as Google always tries to do in their creepy way, the phone advised me that Target was 8 minutes away and there was very light traffic to get there! Have I spent the last month shopping at Target? I don't think so. That is funny. Creepy, but funny. Maybe Google knows I need Q-tips or something. Even creepier.

We celebrated Daniel Goldstein's wedding with the Buber's yesterday. Daniel and Sara had a destination wedding in Greece, and in their honor, a party was held at a local Greek restaurant for friends and family. It was a sweet and perfect way to celebrate the couple with our beautiful friends. Our waitress was more than happy to put together a plate of roasted veggies for my dinner. I am feeling more and more welcomed by restaurants these days. My dish was delicious. I spoke with many people at the party about painting pet portraits and how to go about making that a business. I left with an exchange of promising phone numbers. Here was a day off in my newly formed schedule, and it paid off nicely with possible commissions. Sam performed for the party on his new keyboard and he got rave reviews from everyone. Mazel Tov to Dan and his new bride.

Today I do choose to drive in the rain, and actually, I will be driving towards school. I am meeting with Lisa and Meg at a vegan restaurant for lunch. It will be fun to catch up and hear what they are up to. I have lots to contribute to a conversation which is nice. Not only will I be telling my friends that I am not bored and I do not regret my decision to retire, but with all of my thoughts over the last month written, tweaked and recorded on the pages of Penzu, I can speak with clarity and sound like I make sense. I keep going back to writing as the thing that should define who I am. It has brought me the most joy and the most rewards throughout all of my careers. It has also become my private therapy session as I transition in life. And from the last few times I met with friends, I was able to communicate my rambling thoughts as if I had the skill to think before speaking, something I was never good at doing. Now, I remember my well-composed written monologues and I can sound well-spoken instead of scatterbrained. People listen.

Zach and Michele fly home today in the rain. Hope that is not a problem for United Airlines. I will make them baked ziti this morning to have in their apartment when they get home and then go visit some friends. A rainy day but with plans. Google, got that?

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...