Saturday, August 4, 2018

A Day of Shopping (15)

June 29th
Yesterday might be what will eventually become my typical day as a retired person. I loved my new morning routine as it was rolling along before yesterday: waking early (or not), making hot water and lemon (still not sure that makes a difference, but its an easy thing to do for a better digestion), and sitting down at the computer. I would review my emails, do a search or two for jobs or perhaps research something else, and then open up Penzu. Do I always have a theme for my daily essay? Absolutely not. I might come to my writing with something on my mind or with the actions and thoughts of the day before, but a blank page, just like a blank canvas, lures me in with a myriad of creative possibilities. Yesterday, however, was the disruptor in my routine, and probably not the first one I will face. I woke late and Joyce asked me join her for a ride up to IKEA, a place I enjoy. Well, I could not rush through my morning and get ready for shopping without my bathroom routine, or my breakfast routine, or Murray's routine. It was my Penzu routine that took the back burner and writing was delayed to the afternoon. This bothered me but life throws darts at you and you adjust. I am still new at this thing and kind of vulnerable when it comes to my status as retired. I want to feel like I am in control and I am trying to fit it all in with a smile. Penzu never strayed from my thoughts all day until I could write something down in the late afternoon. That something was the brilliant advance in my career, making it as an artist and getting paid for Princess the painting. That was a very big something! Today, I write about shopping. I guess life does have its moments.

A Girls Day Out
I don't do shopping well. I don't do malls at all. Pathetic is a good word for me at a mall. We drove to Jersey Gardens to use the credit Joyce had at a watch store. That was interesting, finding out about the change in the watch market with hybrid watches. People still enjoy wearing a pretty accessory on their wrist but want the touch screen technology connecting them to their phones. Joyce bought a pretty hybrid for Gabrielle with her credit. The rest of the mall gave us an opportunity to walk and shop but neither of us opened a wallet. Even with my wad of gift cards in my bag, I wandered through a store or two but bought nothing. Sorry, Andrea and Donna. I am a disappointment. I know. Our trek to IKEA was much better. The marketplace is filled with kitchen things. Things that do not have to fit me, things that always seem to have a practical purpose, things that engage my senses with the same excitement as a rack of new markers in an art store. We bought a cute outdoor table for Joyce and a bunch of wonderful kitchen tools for me as only IKEA can entice a meek shopper.

We finished our girls day with a visit to Risa. She was trying to sell off her crazy abundance of products she keeps in her garage. Most of it is typical Hallmark stuff, like frames and costume jewelry. I wandered her living room just like I wandered the mall. All these women had bags of stuff they were happy to bring home to their overstuffed houses, except for me. Finally, in a sack on the floor, I hit pay dirt! I found kitchen stuff! I brought home an apron and a set of measuring cups. I felt like I was a member of a secret girls' club with my bag of purchases on my arm. This was not a creative day, but I realize I am retired and I can do many different kinds of days. Besides, didn't I earn money for Princess? It’s been a good week and, next, we’re off to the beach.


No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...