Saturday, August 4, 2018

David and a New Lease on Life (Day 3)

I love new journals. I love new calendars, planners, and brand new notebooks. I have a thing about picking them out and getting just the perfect writing tool. To me, a rack of markers and pens at the art store is more enticing than any display of toys to a kid. Well, this is a change for me, using an online journal. My tools are my fingers!!! And like any new planner or journal, I start my entries with as much care and optimistic enthusiasm as I would at the beginning of a school year. I diligently wrote the first two days in my new journal. What did I do last night? Not a word, not a thought. How quickly all of my prized new journals get tossed and forgotten! Well, today is Father's Day morning and I am up early cooking and cleaning, so here I am guiltily writing my blurb for yesterday!

Saturday, June 16
As I can remember (and my memory has always been lousy. Can't blame that on age!) Saturday began just as Friday did and just as Thursday did. No difference. Will retired life be a year of the same day over and over again? Sort of like that movie with Drew Barrymore... 50 first dates? I made a big deal starting my day with oatmeal and acting calm and grown-up. I made my list for Father's Day grocery shopping and decided to go to Wegman's. We have every supermarket you can imagine within 5 minutes from the house and a big decision could be which one to go to. Not a bad administrative challenge as I learn how to fend for myself and fill my days. Sam came with me afterward to the plant store and to Kohls for last minute gifts. I bet as a retiree, I won't have to do last minute anymore. What else is there to do but plan out my presents for a birthday or Father's day months ahead of schedule?

Zach and David on their way to the first day of school

We trekked out to Brooklyn in the afternoon for our first visit with David after his kidney transplant. Pat was worried about what to feed me if I don't eat chicken. There was a half hour phone conversation the other day on the subject. My sweet friend ended up buying everything from gluten-free penne to zucchini noodles and butternut squash noodles and then took such care in how to prepare them. David looked great. His eyes looked healthy and his skin good. I was so relieved to see them all much more relaxed and less worried about their family. We brought my Harley painting with us to give to Matthew. I was proud that my father approved of this painting (I still want to impress him and always will) and was just as happy that the Ostrowski's were thrilled with my gift. I think I could earn a nice retired income doing dog portraits. I'll have to work on my aggressive personality and go for it. Aggression does not exist in the bones of my body. If it did, I would have been a rich and successful artist years ago. Oh well. A girl can dream.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...