Saturday, August 4, 2018

Funny Old Jewish Comedians (30)

July 14th
Thirty days of writing. A full month of essays, that is if this were September, April, June or November... (all the rest have 31, except for February). They say as you age, you are more likely to remember stuff from long ago, such as that silly school day rhyme to memorize the months. My long-term memory is okay for stuff like memorized poems and technical dribble, my short-term memory not so skillful. I hope to ward off my troubling dementia by eating plants. Thank goodness these days you don't have to memorize much of anything. A calendar to check a date is right on your phone, people's names and numbers are right on your contact list, and all the information in the world is right there for the asking. Just ask Google.

Last night we treated ourselves to dessert at Cafe 360 in Freehold where they serve delicious dairy-free sorbet for me and a nice variety of creamy goodness to cool off my husband's sore gums from his surgery. Not only were there many flavors of sorbet as an option, but they now had pistachio almond milk ice cream, and it was labeled as Vegan! I am a stubborn, willful soul and when I decide to do something, I will not stray, even if I end up starving. So to my delight, it is getting easier to find places that recognize and welcome their vegan customers. I savored every last lick of my creamy scoop of pistachio. It was a delicious and happy way to end a dopey day.

Then we watched an episode of 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee' with Jerry Seinfeld and Jerry Lewis. The older Jerry died last year, not from all the "stiff" bacon served to him in the diner on the funny Netflix show (as all vegans would want you to believe), but from old age. The man was really old which of course made it all the more funny to watch. At the ripe old age of 90 something, Jerry ate bacon, smoked and drank with all the other funny old timers of his day. Amazing how these Jewish comedians lived so long. Perhaps humor was the magic pill for their longevity? That lifestyle would have killed me years ago. I know I feel as good as I do from eating my way and I am proud of a great looking body for a 60 something lady and more mental clarity to boot. It makes me want to convince everyone else to do what I am doing, including Norman. Vegan doctors say that he could reverse his diabetes on a vegan diet and get off all his meds. It is really hard to convince a man who takes more pleasure out of eating a traditional meal than he is troubled by his diagnosis. He recovered from his surgery yesterday with amazing grace and no pain at all. He is out playing tennis today as he so wanted to do. His constitution, even with decaying animal flesh in his belly is pretty strong. So who am I to preach to the man? Across the street, Andy is going through some kind of health scare as his wife posted on Facebook that he needs a doctor for his prostate. (Who announces such a thing on Facebook?) Anyway, I was so tempted to call them up and scream into the phone, STOP EATING DAIRY! The hormones in cow's milk pose the biggest risk for breast and prostate cancer in this country. But people will do what they want and that is usually what they grew up doing. Like drinking milk. Milk doesn't do a body good, but the dairy industry will spend tons of money to convince people of this so they can continue to be an industry making tons of money. Vegan activists must be getting the word out with their rebuttal since they not only convinced me but also a small cafe in Freehold to sell vegan ice cream to the masses. I don't preach well, and I am not an activist, but I do care about the people I love and I hope they all live to be 90 something. I only hope the planet and the animals will survive the funny, old, Jewish comedians.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...