Saturday, August 4, 2018

A Day at the Races (25)

Today is July 9th. My last official day of actual teaching was a month ago, making today an anniversary of sorts. What will I do to acknowledge my milestone? I've got errands to run, a house to clean and bills to pay. That sounds like no fun at all, but it is. It really is. This is Monday and Mondays have always meant putting all that fun stuff on a back burner and clogging up my mental state with the issues of school. At 7:30, Early Care would begin my long Ranney day. Instead, I sit in my stylish robe (a gift from Nikita, a little Russian boy in school) with my hot water and lemon, perusing my mail, paying my bills, and typing out my thoughts. So you know what? I am having fun and I very much appreciate this time to ponder my new daily grind with flexibility and joy.

Yesterday was another social day. We drove to Queens, my old stomping grounds, and spent the day at the Belmont Racetrack. We met Jeff, Wendy, Mike, Pete Saunders and two adorable international lads from camp. They grow them really cute in England! Jeff and Mike are enjoying their first summer not at camp and it was nice for Norman to relate to their idling days. The beautiful weather continued through the weekend and our day at the races was a wonderful way to enjoy it. I like seeing horses run, even if my bet for "Street Cat Sam" did not make me rich. I hope as a vegan, horse racing is not a horrible thing to enjoy. I hope as a vegan, the horses are treated kindly in their sport and are given a respectful retirement once their racing days are over. I am at least grateful that they are not considered food for the carnivores of this country. Ugh. Retirement from racing, retirement from camp, retirement from teaching... it all makes me reflect on what that stage of life should look like. A horse not racing still wants to run through a meadow and feel the wind in his mane. A horse not racing still wants the companionship of other horses and looks to his human buddies to be cared for as any animal deserves. I think that is not so different for us humans. For today, I might not be painting with children, but I am painting Maggie the dog. And I will do my errands, whenever I feel like doing them.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...