Saturday, August 4, 2018

A Colorest Gift (20)

July 4th
It is the third day of another week of the summer. Do I think that time is still flying by as I watch with slight panic the days of winter vanish from my life? I cannot imagine how it can be the Fourth of July. Today sounded like forever in the future when I scrambled through my last months of teaching. It felt like forever when we froze in the late spring and hoped for signs of sunny days to take walks, or even when report cards were completed and approved, crossing off yet another final job for the school year. On Monday, I bought a few groceries at Wegman's, my store of choice for the day, and the cashier wished me a happy holiday. I thanked her with a smile and wondered what holiday she was talking about. The Fourth of July crept up on me this year. The days now seem long and lazy as days of summer should, so how can it be possible that my calendar continues to creep along and throws a surprise at me?

Yesterday, I spent a lovely day with Zach. He came with me to the art store near Red Bank to hopefully cash in a gift certificate. Hillary Kramer, of finance and TV fame, a real friend this time, was so indebted to me for inspiring her daughter Shia with art, that she gifted me with lots of money and many gifts over the course of her daughter's Lower School years at Ranney. The overflow of cash from her deep pockets bought couches for my den, among other fine purchases for the house. Her gift certificate to Colorest art store was given to me four years ago. Talk about the years of life disappearing in the wink of an eye! Not only was this gift from four years back a long time ago, it expired three years ago! Zach and I walked into the shop of this expensive purveyor of art materials in Red Bank with trepidation. Would they honor my $250 gift certificate? The nice man behind the desk helped us out and suggested we activate it today as another cashier on another day may not. So without any need for brushes, canvases or paint, I picked out pretty new brushes, canvases and many new colors of paint. At the big box stores, as the man called AC Moore and Michaels, I would not have spent nearly this much money, but I hope to see that the quality of my Colorest selections will make a difference in my work. And really, this gift that lay forgotten for the last four years was like found money. A lovely reminder that I once taught art and was appreciated.

Today we celebrate the Fourth of July, Zach's engagement, my retirement and Adam's new home all in one big backyard Yorktown Heights splash. Hopefully, the time will fly by on the road, without traffic making it stand still, but pause long enough for us to savor the love and happiness of the day.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...