Sunday, August 5, 2018

Rushing to the Met (48)

August 1st
I am in a rush this morning to dress, walk Murray, and get to Katie by 8:30. I am usually just finishing up my first draft of Penzu around 8:30 and then I head over to the kitchen to assemble a hearty bowl of steel cut oatmeal and watch Kelly and Ryan entertain their audience (me). Yes, I can imagine Kelly Ripa as my friend, because she makes me laugh over relatable tales of motherhood, rushing through life in a fast-paced city and using public toilets. I can imagine having those same conversations. My morning is a block of time I have cultivated. I feel creative in my writing, entertained with pop culture news and stories, and nourished with a bowl of deliciousness. All without being rushed. Today was the disruptor in my routine. I was rushed.

Katie and I are taking the train into NYC and meeting Vicki and Ruth for a day at the Met. I have been excited about this day since I was paid for my painting and quickly turned the $100 into an elite membership. Yesterday was a groggy day, without much energy to walk or do much of anything. But somewhere in the delirium of my grogginess, I researched the exhibits at the Met and listed (of course I did) the artwork I wanted to see and the galleries they will be found in. I am ready for my day!! A day with Katie, my friends, and art. A good reason to rush.

What I hope to get out of today, beyond a lovely day and a proud entrance into a museum I am now a member of, is inspiration for my art. When I sit at my canvas and paint the colors of a scene, I feel a strong connection to many artists who came before me. When I stand in front of a painting in a museum, I can imagine the artist creating that scene, discovering new brush strokes and colors. I am inspired to go home and use the knowledge I absorbed by admiring the art of another.

Yesterday, Daisy came by for lesson #3. Daisy painted her background for her dog canvas. We went into my studio at the end of the hour lesson to see my Murray canvas. Just like hers, mine shows a drawn dog with a completed background. I always said that I made it as a teacher because I teach what I know. Daisy was impressed and pleased to see my work at the same stage as her work. I was able to teach her, just as artists taught me through the fine examples of their work. Thank you, Anthony, for my gift of a membership and a chance to be inspired today. A trip to a museum is a good reason to rush.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...