Monday, October 15, 2018

Telling Time

It was a phone, but could it tell time?

Time is not an object we can hold in our hands. We can't see it, taste it, or feel it, but it can mean so many things.

I am tired, it must be bedtime.
I don't have time for that!
The Renaissance was a glorious time for artists.
Sam taps his feet and keeps time to the music.
We had a great time at your party!
This is not the first time you said that.
Glen ran a race in record time.
The criminal does time for a crime.
Who is Father Time and how did he get to be a father?

I like knowing the time and I always like being on time. I am retired and I don't have to clock in anywhere. I don't have to wait for a Saturday when a Tuesday appointment will work just as well. I've got plenty of time on my hands, so why am obsessed with the hands of a clock?

Now that time is in the 'cloud,' cell phones, Fitbits, and cable boxes are always on time. There are only a few old-fashioned clocks in the house that might need adjusting. A battery might die or a storm comes and we get a power outage... stuff like that happens. But I don't understand when crazy people who decide on such dribble, ask us to turn the clocks back an hour. They gift us with extra time, only to take it away again later in the year. Who are those people anyway? Isn't it time to stop changing the time?

I can’t wear many watches because I have a strange reaction to metals. I think it is mainly to nickel, the five cent coin metal used as a component in cheap jewelry and on the back of a watch face. I have bought so many pretty watches over the years that I could not wear. Their batteries died out without ever telling me the time of day. My Fitbit, however, is made of plastic. I love my Fitbit. It tells me when it is lunchtime and when it is time to get moving again. It'll even applaud me for taking a long walk with Murray.

Question... If I walk 10,000 steps on my two legs, would that mean my dog with four legs clocked in at 20,000? If they don't make Fitbits for dogs, they should.

I followed the Alex and Ani craze a few years ago and bought a few bangles with charms telling the world I am an artist, a mom, and a dog lover. They were fun to wear until my wrist starting itching from the cheap metal they must use. I guess my wrist has a problem shouting out my identity to the world. I will never be a trendy girly girl.

Then there was the time I went with my friend Joyce to the mall and learned about a new watch trend. She had a credit to a very fancy watch store. Companies in the business of telling the time are joining the Fitbit and Apple craze by bringing the internet to people's wrists with their new hybrid designs. Remember when Maxwell Smart made a phone call on his shoe? I still think that is funny after all these years, and it is just as funny watching someone talk into their wrist. Whatever the trend, watches will always keep the time and keep up with the times. Just remember folks, you have to set your Rolex back on November 4th. Fancy people and others not so fancy, like me, will all gain an hour of sleep and get confused at the time in the morning.

Now I have to call for an estimate on a window replacement in my house. Let's hope the window guy comes on time. My Fitbit and I have a lot to do today.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...