Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Me and My Mac

We found new hats and the lake in Spring Lake. Life is Good with Sam

Nothing makes me happier than lots of people chowing down on food around our big, old dining room table. And now that I can keep things relatively calm instead of making a mad dash to clean up piles of stuff that accumulate after a full week at school, I don't even mind the occasional last minute visitors. Putting together a meal is always fun and seeing our friends and family is a joy. But spending time with my kids, one at a time, is priceless. Sam and I enjoyed a great day yesterday on the shore, wandering around Spring Lake, Ocean Grove and Manasquan. We bought Life is Good hats, picnicked on the beach, and hunted for clothes at the best thrift store ever.

Sam has less than a week before school obligations kick in. We are all losing the lazy days of summer as we get closer to the fall, even though I get to look at a year of no school. With the scare of September approaching, what have I set in motion for my future? One of my best friends this summer turned out to be my Mac computer, and that friendship is the core of who I am and what I do.

I tutor kids in art... my own kids (when they were kids) at my kitchen table, camp kids in arts and crafts, Ranney kids at school, and a few of the neighbor's children this summer. I completed my 10,000 hours and have proven this to the world. Well then. This week, I will sit by my Mac and finally design that flyer to be sent out to the masses. Does anyone want a lesson in drawing, painting, Photoshop, or iPad art? Any age welcome!

I can and have painted dogs and other assorted objects. Another 10,000 hours worth? Eight furry friends are immortalized on canvas and many people say they want one of their own for their own. Well? Where are my pet photos, people? Another website flyer? I'll be busy this week.

Zach and Michele are getting married next summer. I have all the time in the world to help them in any way I can, even if it is just with a hug. It is their day. They should do it their way. But I can create a website for them. I think my Mac and I will become very good friends.

And, speaking about my computer, I sat down and wrote in this journal for 68 days in a row. 68 days! I never do anything for 68 days in a row, other than breathing. Even teaching full time allowed for vacation days and weekends. I don't do anything day after day unless there is a deadline approaching. This must be something I enjoy. Writing has been very therapeutic and it is as creative as anything else I could imagine. The thrill I get each time I hit publish has no equal. Now, what do I do with this new hobby? How do I get my writing out beyond my loyal FB fans? Another account on Instagram just for writers? A public FB page? I will speak to Vicki. She'll know. This week, folks. My best friend Mac and I are getting pretty chummy.

The chair in front of my Mac is not the only seat in the house. Katie's room is now an art studio. Zach's room is now a guest room for Dave. The living room got re-vamped with a new rug. Little by little, my home is becoming a full-time living and working space for this lazy, out of work, bum. I still have projects to tackle, but I have time. No rush. Mondays do not mean going back to school. Mondays just mean me and my Mac.




No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...