Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Murray the Portrait

This is Murray. He just needs a frame and a place of honor on the wall.

We once brought home a container with sea monkeys that I left on the top of the stove and boiled by accident. They weren’t the greatest of pets, no personality or anything, but I still felt bad. Then we had a pair of goldfish named Bert and Ernie. These little guys probably came from a fair or something. I didn’t boil them to death but I did knock them off the counter and had to fish them off the floor when nobody was looking. They didn’t live very long. Eventually, we moved on to a parakeet with a huge cage that couldn't be knocked over or boiled. We named our bird, Willie. Sam loved Willie. We all did. We took Willie to camp every summer and he enjoyed fresh air on the screened in porch of Hillside 34 for many years. He was a cute feathered friend and he made me felt better about my ability to take care of someone. I killed everything else, including most of my plants and many dinners. It’s amazing that my kids survived.

Zach used to ask for a dog every Chanukah. We love dogs and we would have adopted one year earlier just for him, but camp did not allow them. We finally gave in. If it was a small one, maybe we could sneak it in under a towel. The boy never asked for anything. When were we getting a dog? When he was ready to go away to college?

So that’s when Babs walked into our lives. Katie found her around the corner and we became dog owners. A sadder looking thing I’ve never seen. She was badly abused with cuts and bruises and infections all over her skinny body, and very much in need of love. We didn’t realize she was also pregnant. That was many years ago. We’ve come along way from those sea monkeys. My dogs enjoyed a good life, including some great summers chasing the geese on the shores of Sylvan Lake. Babs was given the royal treatment as a loving mama in our house. Her daughter, Hannah, lived almost 17 years of a joyous life. Translated into human years, she made it to 119. We gave her 17 years of love and she gave us back 119 years worth of pure, unconditional loyalty and love. That’s not a bad bargain. Everyone should have a pet.

The other day was National Dog Day. Shouldn't every day be National Dog Day? Murray is now the king of our house and has our undivided attention. Andrea found him on the street, a scared and wild puppy who marched into our home and took over our bed and our hearts. He is now the sweetest, most affectionate of any pet we ever owned. I think rescue dogs know when they have been rescued, and will spend the rest of their lives thanking you. Murray snuggles up against me at night and growls at Norman for coming to bed, but he secretly loves him too. He only wants attention and found it in Katie's arms, Zach's arms and in our home. 

This painting of Murray is now my ninth dog portrait and the largest one yet. It was such a pleasure for me to capture my handsome boy on a canvas. This was not a commissioned piece. It was not a gift that had to be completed on a time schedule or a portrait to be done before or after the death of a dog. It was just a summer project and it was done for me, an artist at play with a few new techniques and a brand new painter's palette picked out as a gift to myself. I took my time with this project in an art studio I am still amazed to have. Murray the painting just needs a frame and he will be hanging on our wall as the King of the Manor. Which he is. Thank you again for finding him, Andrea. 

Does anyone else want a dog portrait? My easel is available and I’ve got lots of time, that is when I’m not walking my dog.

No comments:

Kasey

"Kasey" 14 x 18" Acrylic on Canvas Meet Kasey. Kasey is a service dog who goes to the hospital with her owner and makes ...